The Hui’s Open Studios Program provides students and community artists the opportunity to work independently with access to professional artist studios, equipment, and tools. The tools and equipment provided vary in each studio. In general, students should plan to bring materials and personal tools needed to complete projects. The studio tools and equipment are shared items and may or may not be available at any given time. Some materials are available for sale in each studio. Please inquire with the technician on duty should you wish to purchase any items. Hui studio tools & equipment should never leave the studio. No retail sales are permitted by students/studio users from the studios.
Eligibility: All students (18 or older) who are currently enrolled in or have completed an adult class of at least six weeks within the past 2 years are eligible to use open studio. If you are not currently enrolled in a Hui class, you must be a current Hui member to participate in open studio. Students enrolled in classes of 6 weeks or longer in jewelry, ceramics, or printmaking are given complimentary studio access after the first day through the Saturday following their last day of class. Please note that Hui classes and workshops take priority over open studio. Please check our class schedule to become familiar with potential conflicts. Please note that workspaces in open studio are available on a first come-first served basis. We recommend arriving early or on time to open studio to find a place to work.
Regular Studio schedules & fees vary based on the studio/department.
Studio Hours: Varies depending on studio monitor schedule. Please check calendar hanging on the studio door or phone (808) 573-2529 to speak with the monitor on duty.
- Currently enrolled students in a class that is at least 6 weeks—COMPLIMENTARY after the first day of class through the Saturday following their last day of class.
- Students not currently enrolled—$75 per calendar month.
- Studio monitors—$50 per calendar month with additional eligibility requirements and responsibilities.
Other: Only current open studio users using clay purchased at the Hui are permitted to have their ceramic pieces fired in Hui kilns. Hui clay is available for purchase at the ceramics studio for members and non-members. There is a limit to the amount that can be purchased. Please inquire with the monitor on duty for more details.
Studio Hours: For students who have completed or are currently enrolled in a level 2 class of at least six weeks: Tuesdays, 9:00 am – 12:00 noon Thursdays, 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm Saturdays, 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
For students currently enrolled in Jewelry Making I or Argentium Silver Basics I ONLY: *Fridays, 9:00 am - 12:00 noon
- Currently enrolled students in a class that is at least 6 weeks—COMPLIMENTARY after the first day of class through the Saturday following their last day of class
- Currently enrolled Jewelry Making I students—COMPLIMENTARY after the first day of class through the Saturday following their last day of class
- Students not currently enrolled—$100 per calendar month or $25 per single visit
Note: Guided Open Studio is a special monthly program with limited spaces and pre-registration required. It functions more like a class than an open studio and is the only 4-week program that includes complimentary access to the other weekly open studios. Please visit the class page for more information.
The Hui is evaluating the photography studio schedule! If you are interested in using the studio/darkroom, please complete this survey so that we can have a better idea of student and artist needs. Mahalo!
While it is recommended that students take a Hui class to complete eligibility requirements, all those who have some knowledge of how to use the darkroom are welcome to attend.
Studio Hours: Please call (808) 572-6560 to reserve studio time in advance.
Cost: (AS OF JAN. 1 2017) $20 per single visit—covers studio time & chemistry
For students who have completed or are currently enrolled in a class of at least six weeks: Thursdays, 12:00 - 4:00pm
- Currently enrolled students in a class that is at least 6 weeks—COMPLIMENTARY after the first day of class through the Thursday following their last day of class
- Students not currently enrolled—(AS OF JAN. 1 2017) $20 per single visit
Painting & Drawing, Glass, Fiber etc.
We do not offer open studio programs in these media at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience and encourage you to continue enrolling in classes.